Telemedicine has so many potential benefits that it is hard not to get excited when a reasonably promising solution surfaces. Just to list a few:
- It could reduce the high costs of health care that are driving the US (and global) economy into the red.
- It could reduce the co-pays for the patient when all a she needs is a quick look, some simple advice, or a phoned in prescription.
- It could give rural residents access to the higher quality healthcare available in more urban areas or from academic medical centers.
- It could help medical providers collaborate through more diverse teams.
- It could allow physically or mentally challenged individuals access care without assistance.